I'm a recording technician from Stellenbosch, South Africa, with a degree in Theology and a Master's degree in Music Technology (Cum Laude), and a voting member of the Recording Academy for the Grammy Awards. My operations are based at Stellenbosch University Recording Studios. The genres of music I capture and produce includes rock, pop, classical, choral and jazz. I'm proud to be associated with TwoPianists Records, an independent record company based in Stellenbosch, South Africa, with global distribution through Naxos. For fun I play (and usually lose) squash and design and build ribbon microphones.
At the console of Flux Studios New York.
- My goal is to support what the artists would like to communicate with their music, and enrich and magnify the artistic message.
- A recording studio is a compositional tool where quality of timbre and depth perception are considered as important as the notes being played.
- Although gear and the recording space is not everything, it should never get in the way of capturing a great performance and therefore I find it quite important to use the best one can find.
- Maintain a positive and creative atmosphere during the production.
- The man who does not get a certain satisfaction out of his day's work is losing the best part of his pay. - Henry Ford.
Bridge Studios, Los Angeles
2012 Grammy Awards
Congratulations to my clients whose names popped up on the submission list for the 53rd Grammy Awards: Luis Magalhães, Peter Martens, Nina Schumann, Ben Schoeman, Frank Stadler, Michelle Breedt and Konstantin Scherbakov.
2011 Preis der Deutschen Schallplattenkritik
Congratulations to Michelle Breedt and Nina Schumann who's "Shakespeare Inspired" CD has been awarded with the German Record Critics' Award as one of the "Quarterly Best Releases for the Third Quarter 2011". Other recipients for this round includes Hans Zimmer, Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis feat. Norah Jones, and the Beastie Boys.
2011 Cannes Film Festival
I would like to congratulate the Oliver Hermanus (director), Moonlighting Pictures, and Ben Ludic (composer) of the feature film SKOONHEID, for being the first Afrikaans film to achieve the Official Selection (Un Certain Regard) of the Cannes Film Festival. I would like to thank the Stellenbosch University Camerata and Concert Master Suzanne Martens, for their excellent performance of the score.
2011 SAMA Awards
Congratulations to my clients who received the following 2011 SAMA nominations:
- Best Popular Classical Album - Peter Martens & Luis Magalhães - Beethoven Cello Sonatas
- Best Popular Classical Album - Tygerberg Children's Choir - Champions In Song
- Best Traditional Jazz Album - Kyle Shepherd - A Portrait Of Home
- Best Adult Contemporary Album: English - Karen Zoid - Terms & Conditions
- Best Alternative Music Album: Afrikaans - Les Javan En Die Delta Vastrapgenootskap - Hiervandaan
- Best Pop Album: English - Jax Panik - I Am Jax Panik
- Best Engineer - Jax Panik - I am Jax Panik
- Female Artist of the year - Karen Zoid - Terms & Conditions
2011 Grammy Awards
Congratulations to Daniel Rowland and the Stellenbosch University Camerata, Nina Schumann and Luis Magalhães for their Grammy entries.
2010 SAMA Awards
Congratulations to my clients who received the following 2010 SAMA nominations:
- Best Popular Classical Album - Daniel Roland and the Stellenbosch University Camerata - WINNER
- Best Popular Classical Album - Nina Schumann & Luis Magalhães
- Best Popular Classical Album - South African Youth Choir
- Best Traditional Jazz Album - Kyle Shephard
- Best Newcomer - South African Youth Choir
- Best Newcomer - Kyle Shephard